Wednesday 27 February 2013

Oh - hello!

Happy new year, if February 27th isn't too late for such a greeting. I won't bore you with excuses  explanations for my shameful blog absence, in the hope of giving it a little air of mystery and intrigue, suggestive of sojourns on far-flung shores beyond the reach of wifi, or exciting happenings too top-secret to share. Anyway, here I am - still alive, still writing (still in my pyjamas at midday mostly - although perhaps I should keep quiet about that in view of the mystery and intrigue thing.)

Yesterday I managed to get changed out of my pyjamas before midday and put on mascara and decent underwear and head down to London for the RNA RoNA Awards. I hadn't intended to go, being under a self-imposed ban on fun, frivolity and glamorous events, but last week (in the middle of half term, which might not be coincidental) I had a sudden craving for all of the above; as well as for the pleasurable ache you get in your throat and feet the morning after you've talked your head off in a crowded room for a couple of hours wearing high heels. It was a fab evening, and easily justifiable to my inner Writing Despot on the grounds that it yielded not only plentiful champagne, but also bucketloads of motivation from being surrounded by totally top authors (as well as the chance to meet the amazing Susanna Kearsley in actual person, which was pretty overwhelming as I'd spent the entire journey down engrossed in The Firebird. Honestly, at my age I really should be past blushing and stammering when I meet people, shouldn't I?) Because it was a fairly last minute impulse, I didn't stay the night in town, but if I had I would have liked to spend it here, which is where Abby Green and Heidi Rice partied into the small hours on the contents of a very luxuriously-stocked mini-bar.

Anyway, the news on the homefront is that my book is coming together, though my computer is falling apart. Remember the terrifyingly efficient Mac? *hollow laugh* It is no longer presiding over my cluttered desk with its reproachful sleekness, but is in some repair centre in Warrington where, I was informed this morning, it might remain for another three weeks. THREE WEEKS? Do they not know that I've set myself a deadline of May for this book and there's still an awful lot of anguish to endure (both on the page and in reality) if that goal is to be met?? Of course there's nothing to be done (although the mini-rant on the phone was cathartic) except keep going - on scraps of paper, on the Fisher-Price netbook and the backs of envelopes if need be. Luckily I'm at the stage where the story is vivid and immediate and writing itself, which is just as well as writing is a bizarrely ritualistic activity; generally I need to be in the same place, with the same mug, the same scented candle, listening to the same music, wearing the same pyjamas for it to work. Though maybe that's not writing. Maybe that's just me.

It's been ages since I posted any writing soundtracks, so here's a bit of the music I'd be listening to, if I still had my Mac on which to listen to it. As it is, you can imagine me humming it tunelessly as I scribble away in my cheap supermarket notebook.






7 comments:

Fiona Harper said...

Lovely to see you yesterday, albeit briefly! And you need to get yourself a moleskine, woman. Once you've had one you'll be spoiled for anything else. :-)

Scarlet Wilson said...

One word lovely lady - SHEFFIELD!

Unknown said...

Fiona, if I had a lovely notebook like that I'd need to also have beautiful handwriting like you! My handwriting is only fit for the supermarket Value range stationary. It was really great to see you yesterday, and catch up on news - wish I could have stayed!

Scarlet, you're right. Sheffield. But before that - Summer Party!

Caroline said...

Yay! It's great to see you back, India! Glad you had a fab time in London. It's good to talk! Caroline x

Unknown said...

Aww, thank you Caroline! Happy St David's day - has spring come to Anglesey yet? xx

Abby Green said...

So lovely to see you but not for long enough missy. Next time we'll prepare well in advance to ensure no late night departures ;).
Hope the computer gets fixed soon...nothing stopping you writing longhand though missy....0_0!
xx Abby

Unknown said...

Am writing - honest! Shiny new scary Mac has taken up residence on my desk to replace old one. That's how dedicated I am!

London already seems like a distant memory... How soon til next time?? xxx