Wednesday 5 September 2007

Oh dear

So of course, the smugness of a couple of weeks ago was completely misplaced. I wish someone had pointed out to me then that as well as school shoes there was PE kit, trainers, pencil cases and football boots to buy (Football boots?? But I have three daughters! This was never supposed to happen!) I'm blaming you lot!

As a result of a lot of last-minute dashing around assembling the above items I haven't yet got round to organising the draw for my website competition. This is going to be done under very strict controls-- a bit like the National Lottery, but without Terry Wogan and music from a boyband. (Have to confess at this point that I haven't got a clue who presents the National Lottery draw as I'm far too disorganised ever to remember to buy a ticket. Am also terrified that if I did I'd instantly lose it and then discover-- six months later when I remembered to check-- that I'd won ten million pounds and couldn't claim it. Would then be sentenced to a lifetime of bitterness and recrimination as I searched endlessly through coat pockets, old handbags and the mulch of rubbish in the car....) Anyway, the draw is going to be scrupulously fair and impartial, and will take place tonight. I need to get to work on the book, and can't properly sketch in the secondary characters until I know who they are and what their names will be!

The children are back at school and the house is very strangely quiet. That must be why I can hear the piece of chocolate cake in the fridge calling to me so plaintively...

4 comments:

Jen said...

Crumbs, cake can be terribly loud sometimes.

It's good if you keep it in a cupboard though - slightly quieter and, best of all, the calories don't know it's there so it doesn't make you fat so long as you eat it very quickly.

Scientifically proven, that is. Not.

Michelle Styles said...

I will confess to being an awful mother and NOT using name tags -- I used an permanent ink marker for awhile and then told my children - -it was pain of death if they lost anything. They haven't so far...
Football boots are you sure? Mine had to have sand shoes and then football boots only if they were playing rugby.

I am not saying anything about cake.

My lot are FINALLY all back at school tomorrow. We had the dreaded 6th form interview today...

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of football boots...point of fact, until my husband, I was quite happy to have never heard of football.

I sympathize with the calling of the chocolate cake. My box of chocolate is singing a seductive song, full of caramel, nugget and nuts. In fact, it's currently drowning out the caterwauling of my kittens, which should tell you how loudly it's singing.

Ah, well. It does have a lovely, tenor voice. It's got Luciano Pavarotti beat. Hands down. Pavarotti doesn't come with a butter cream center.

Unknown said...

I love that kind of science, Jen. I think you missed out the vital bit about having to eat it standing up too though. Crucial for calorie avoidance.

Michelle, I hope you're now enjoying the peace and quiet! Has your eldest gone on to a different school/college to do A levels following his utterly fabulous GCSE results? I guess in some ways it's the start of yet another phase of your lives now he's finished with compulsory school (it'll be driving lessons and university interviews next...)

Oh Brown, I'm so jealous. I wish I'd never heard of football boots (and I fear there's no mistake, Michelle!)I also wish I was surrounded by kittens and chocolate. Oh well, maybe some toast and butter would do the job...