Wednesday 15 September 2010

On the go

I'm sure there must be some kind of mathematical-type equation for the phenomenon that occurs when you're desperate to write, when the characters are holding lively, witty, heartfelt conversations in your head and dramatic scenes are presenting themselves vividly every five minutes, and the rest of your life is so busy and full of stuff (workshops, admin, getting your grey roots obliterated in readiness for presenting yourself in public at the annual Mills & Boon author lunch and Toast, sorting out the Home Front in advance of a three day absence etc) that it's virtually impossible. I think it might involve the concept that creativity + inspiration is inversely proportional to opportunity. Or something. (Help me out here, maths genius Ros...)

Anyway, I'm off to London tomorrow, and I will be taking my laptop to write on the train. Last time I did that I was writing a sex scene in a hot tub on the balcony of an alpine chalet. It all got a bit embarrassing as I was wedged in beside one of those aftershave-scented, iphone-dependent commuter boys, and I KNOW he was reading what was on my screen rather than his spreadsheet of sales figures. This time, to avoid embarrassment all round I have extravagantly invested fifteen of your finest English pounds upgrading to first class, on the basis that the increased space might mean that anyone sitting nearby is out of reading-range, and will probably be far too busy and important and high-powered to be interested anyway. (But just incase, I'm thinking of taking a copy of one of my books. 'Here,' I can say kindly. 'You can read a proper printed version, if you like.')

Back next week with headlines and photos. If I remember to a) pack my camera and b) take it out of my bag at all. Am v v looking forward to being enveloped in M&B sisterhood and talking/drinking/laughing/eating* enough to sustain me through long deadline weeks ahead...

* (admittedly, eating not usually a problem during deadline weeks. But can't argue with primitive instinct to lay down fat for survival in hard times. Ho hum.)

11 comments:

Ros said...

If you need something done, ask a busy person! I'm totally the same - if I have a hundred things to do in a day, that's guaranteed to be the time my head is buzzing with new ideas, whereas if I'm free to sit down and write all day, there's nothing. Aaarrrgh!

Hope you have fun in London, though, and get lots of writing done in your first class compartment - how posh! I love the idea of giving away your books to people who want to read over your shoulder. Maybe you'll start a new trend for category romance among smart business men.

Catherine said...

Lucky you. Escaping to London. Have a lovely time.

Best wishes, Catherine

P.S. Thanks for the workshop at Quarry Bank Mill! A copy of The Lady dropped through my letter box yesterday and I got a "special mention" for A Date with Mr Darcy in the National Trust competition. LOL.

Girl One thumbed straight through to the back and found herself a fabulous farmhouse for 12 to rent in Tuscany. She'll have to wait on that one until I work out the equation for creativity plus inspiration plus opportunity = financial reward!

Morton S Gray said...

Have a lovely time India.

My laptop died last night! boo hoo. It must have got over heated with all the New Voices stories I've been reading! What with chocolate men's bits and some very interesting ways of describing a women's! Lol. Having ome lovely comments on my story too.

Well done Catherine, I think I was at that workshop too.

M x

Sally Clements said...

Have fun India! We're all loving your blog post over at the Minxes of Romance today!

Kate Hewitt said...

Have fun, India. You know I wish I could be there, but I really, really hope to be there next year. You paint a vivid picture of writing on the train...

xo

Unknown said...

Ros, husband just checked my tickets and announced that I've only upgraded one way - on way home. So tomorrow will be slumming it cheek-by-jowl with the commuters and unable to unleash my steamy side. Gah. Just as well he discovered this now before I swanned into first class and was forcibly ejected...

Catherine, I'm so thrilled to hear of your special mention - huge congrats! Am also loving the fact that GirlOne is confident that literary success and riches are around the corner. She could be right, so keep writing!

Aw, so sorry about the laptop Morton. I haven't been keeping up with all the entries at New Voices as I've been pretty short of time, but was looking forward to catching up soon. Maybe I'd better stay away - last thing I want is a swooning computer...

Thanks Sally! So fab to be invited, and I loved your questions. Had forgotten today was the day though, so thanks for the reminder too!

Ah Kate... I wish so much that you were coming - it would have been amazing to finally meet up. Next year... It'll be upon us before we know it! x

Lacey Devlin said...

Haha! Oh I enjoyed that, who knew a train ride could be such fun. I bet that commuter boy will never forget that trip. Hopefully first class will be kinder but I'd take a book just in case ;)

Jane said...

Have fun in London, India. Do remember to bring your camera because I really want to see some photos.i

Trenda said...

Ooh, I do so hope your trip was lovely, India! Do tell all!

Love,

Trenda

Unknown said...

Lacey, I got my first class carriage on the way home, and do you know - it was completely empty!! Not a sharp-suited commuter in sight, which was v disappointing. It did mean I could do some work though, and turn my music up loud.

Jane and Trenda - I think I really would make the world's worst photo-journalist. I took my camera and every now and then I even remembered that it was in my bag, but somehow that didn't quite translate into getting it out and using it much. *hangs head in shame* Sorry.

Rice Recipes said...

Loved reading this thank yyou