Wednesday 28 November 2007

Today's Tea Towel Philosophy...


I don't actually mean to become the Queen of tea towel wisdom, but I really do think that this one should find a place on my Christmas list too. I could definitely have done with one to blow my nose and mop up my tears the other night as I realised The Deadline was not going to be met...
Happily, much advice and handholding from certain wonderful writing friends and a quick phonecall with my excessively lovely editor have resulted in deadline reprieve, and the first proper night's sleep I've had in weeks. Hurrah! I can now catch up on some of the stuff I've been neglecting so badly of late, like updating my website, going through my proofs for Orlando (which I don't think I've mentioned is going to be called Mistress: Hired for the Billionaire's Pleasure and will be out in August next year), paying crushing dinner money debts and cleaning the bath.
I can also take a little time to fall in love with the book again.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear India, so pleased you have some breathing space at last. Your editor sounds lovely!
Clean the bath if you MUST but don't forget to spoil yourself a little too.
Love,
Rach.
XX

Michelle Styles said...

Hooray for the Tea Towel wisdom.

Hooray for getting things sorted!!!

Margaret McDonagh said...

Well done with the reprieve. And the sleep. Good luck finishing off the wip, I KNOW you can and will do it. Sending lots of cyber [[[hugs]]]

Love,
Mags

Kate Hewitt said...

Great news on the reprieve. Having a little extra to take a breath and face your ms without dread is wonderful. :)

Kate

Amanda Ashby said...

OMG - I love teatowels and have been trying to convince my husband that I should recover one of our standard lamps with a kiwiana tea towel. Strangely enough he can't quite see my vision! Anyway, phew that your deadline is sorted out and trust me when you finish it and look back at it later you'll know it was worth all the stress!!!

Kate Hardy said...

Glad things are sorted (your editor IS lovely) and I'm enjoying your Tea Towel wisdom :o)

Unknown said...

Thank you my darlings. I'm nominating tea towels as the new bumper stickers for imparting wisdom.

Life is still mighty hectic, but sleep is easier and the desire to pour vodka on my cornflakes is lessening, so that's got to be progress. Just as well, as I have daughter #2 off school today with what the dorctor thinks could be the beginning of an appendicitis...

We'll see.

Anonymous said...

Good Girl! Hurrah!! Big hugs and pats on the back.

Now, go be gentle with yourself--you deserve it. :D

Anonymous said...

Oh, just saw your comment (kittens trying to help me read the screen and type!).

Big hugs to daughter number two, and I hope she feels better very soon!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fiona Harper said...

Love your idea of tea towel wisdom, India! You can do it, you know you can!

Anonymous said...

Hey, India, I know you're snowed under BUT the January releases are up on the M&B website!
Credit cards are wonderful things:you have sold at least one copy of The Italian's Captive Virgin this morning and I can hardly wait to get my hands on it!
Chin up,head down etc.
Love,
Rach.
XXX

Unknown said...

Rachel that's such a lovely vote of confidence-- thank you so much!

Brown, daughter #2 seems to be OK for the time being, but I can't help but think that it's just waiting to come back at a more inconvenient time. The smart money's on Christmas Eve....(kittens are so much more convenient)

Fiona-- I hope so! (but please, please can you hurry up and get to section 5 on your excellent story structure blog... Am loving it!)